Applications are now closed for 2018 scholarship awards, thank you for your interest.
Herb it Forward Scholarship Mission:
To provide financial assistance to students who, despite growing up in challenging environments, have an incredibly optimistic spirit, a desire to help others, and a passion for giving back to their communities.
Inspired by Herb Lotman, a self-made businessman whose lifetime was dedicated to helping others and giving back. “The ‘Herb it Forward’ Scholarship was created in his memory to educate those future leaders who will continue to pay it forward.
Herb It Forward Eligibility Criteria
- Individuals 17-25 years of age
- Applicants must be residents of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania or the Philadelphia area counties, who are applying to or are students of programs in the United States.
- Open to all students who are graduating in 2018 or have previously graduated high school, received their GED, or have been homeschooled. Please note graduate students are not eligible for this scholarship.
- Previous winners of the Herb It Forward scholarship cannot apply.
- Only fully completed applications, which include a transcript, GED, or State Certification will be considered.
- All applicants have to state clearly in their application material how they have helped their community in the past and how they have chosen career paths to help in the future.
- Must demonstrate a strong financial need. More specifically students from households qualifying for the reduced price lunch program with/or having a household income that does not exceed the amounts in the chart below:
|Household Size||Annual Income ($)|
|For each additional family member add||7,733|
If selected as a finalist, proof of family income will be requested and must include one of the following:
•Copy of signed Federal Income Tax Return (Form 1040)
•Copy of EBT Access card and benefit summary
•Evidence that your family receives SSI or TANF benefits
•Completed copy of your FAFSA Form
- Complete and Submit the ‘Herb it Forward’ application form. Applications are open from December 1, 2017 through March 1, 2018. Submissions must be made in English received by 11:59:59 PM EST on March 1, 2018.
- The 30 scholarship finalists will be announced on April 1, 2018.
- Recipients of the Herb It Forward Scholarship will be notified of their award on May 1, 2018.
- Scholarship winners will then be eligible to participate in events hosted by the Herb it Forward Foundation.
- HIF Scholarship funds will be sent directly to recipient’s school prior to the start of the semester.
- 10 individuals will receive a ‘First Place’ scholarship award renewable over (4) academic calendar years to be distributed as follows;
- Year (1): $5,000.00, Year (2): $2,500.00, Year (3): $1,000.00, Year (4): $1,000.00.
- 10 individuals will receive a ‘Second Place’ scholarship award renewable over (4) academic calendar years to be distributed as follows;
- Year (1): $2,500.00, Year (2): $1,000.00, Year (3): $1,000.00, Year (4): $1,000.00.
- 10 individuals will receive a ‘Third Place’ award renewable over (4) academic calendar years to be distributed as follows;
- Year (1): $1,000.00, Year (2): $1,000.00, Year (3): $1,000.00, Year (4): $1,000.00.
Additional Scholarship Benefits:
- The recipients will be eligible for and invited to participate in Herb it Forward Foundation sponsored leadership camps and other events, including but not limited to, dinners, speaking events, and mentorship opportunities.
Terms of Scholarship Renewal:
- The recipients must remain in good academic standing to continue receiving the renewable scholarship awards. The recipients will be required to provide transcripts to validate their academic standing before each distribution period. Good academic standing is defined by, but not limited to, maintaining an overall GPA of 2.7 or higher while enrolled in an accredited institution. Recipients will also be required to complete a survey and update form at the end of each semester.
For full scholarship terms and conditions please click below:
Terms & Conditions