The Herb it Forward Scholarship
Applications for our 2023 scholarship awards are now closed.
Herb it Forward Scholarship Mission:
To support the education of young leaders in the Philadelphia area through scholarships and community with a primary focus on students who demonstrate a commitment to helping others and a passion for giving back.
Inspired by Herb Lotman, a self-made businessman whose life was dedicated to helping others and giving back. The Herb it Forward Scholarship was created in his memory to educate those future leaders who will continue to pay it forward.
Herb It Forward Eligibility Criteria:
- Individuals 17-25 years of age
- Applicants must be residents of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, or the Greater Philadelphia Area, who are applying to or are students of accredited programs at colleges, vocational, or technical schools anywhere in the United States.
- At the time of application, eligible counties of residency include Philadelphia, Bucks, Montgomery, Chester, and Delaware counties in Pennsylvania and Camden, Gloucester, and Burlington counties in New Jersey.
- Open to all students who are graduating high school or will complete homeschooling in 2023 or who previously graduated high school, received their GED, or completed homeschooling.
- Applicants must either be a senior in high school at the time of application or in their first year of education at a college or vocational/technical school. Please note college sophomores, juniors, seniors, or graduate students are not eligible for this scholarship.
- Previous winners of the Herb It Forward scholarship cannot apply.
- Only fully completed applications, which include a transcript, GED, or State Certification, will be considered.
- All applicants have to state clearly in their application material how they have helped their community in the past and how they have chosen career paths to help in the future.
- Must demonstrate a strong financial need. More specifically, students from households qualifying for the reduced-price lunch program with/or having a household income that does not exceed the amounts in the chart below:
|Household Size||Annual Income ($)|
|For each additional family member, add||8,732|
If selected as a finalist, proof of family income will be requested and must include ONE of the following:
•Completed copy of your FAFSA Form or FAFSA EFC Determination (Preferred)
•Copy of EBT Access card and benefit summary
•Evidence that your family receives SSI or TANF benefits
•Copy of signed Federal Income Tax Return (Form 1040)
- Complete and submit the ‘Herb it Forward’ application form. Applications are open from December 2, 2022, through March 3, 2023.
- Submissions must be made in English and received by 11:59:59 PM EST on March 3, 2023.
- The scholarship finalists will be announced on April 4, 2023.
- After completing a virtual interview, recipients of the Herb it Forward Scholarship will be notified of their selection and award amount on May 8, 2023.
- Scholarship winners will then be eligible to participate in events hosted by the Herb it Forward Foundation.
- HIF Scholarship funds will be sent directly to the recipient’s school prior to the start of the semester via The Philadelphia Foundation.
- 10 individuals will receive a ‘First Place’ scholarship award renewable over (4) academic calendar years to be distributed as follows;
- Year (1): $5,000.00, Year (2): $2,500.00, Year (3): $1,000.00, Year (4): $1,000.00.
- 10 individuals will receive a ‘Second Place’ scholarship award renewable over (4) academic calendar years to be distributed as follows;
- Year (1): $2,500.00, Year (2): $1,000.00, Year (3): $1,000.00, Year (4): $1,000.00.
- 10 individuals will receive a ‘Third Place’ award renewable over (4) academic calendar years to be distributed as follows;
- Year (1): $1,000.00, Year (2): $1,000.00, Year (3): $1,000.00, Year (4): $1,000.00.
Additional Scholarship Benefits:
- The recipients will be eligible for and invited to participate in Herb it Forward Foundation sponsored leadership camps and other events, including but not limited to dinners, speaking events, and mentorship opportunities.
Terms of Scholarship Renewal:
- The recipients must remain in good academic standing to continue receiving the renewable scholarship awards. The recipients will be required to provide transcripts to validate their academic standing before each distribution period. Good academic standing is defined by but is not limited to, maintaining an overall GPA of 2.7 or higher while enrolled in an accredited institution. Recipients will also be required to complete a survey and update form at the end of each academic year. Recipients must also attend a minimum of 2 Herb it Forward Foundation events per calendar year.
For full scholarship terms and conditions, please click below:
Terms & Conditions